ALTHOUGH the sun is shining in Hereford today, some roads are still closed due to the heavy rain and winds that have battered the county over the last few days.
Several roads are closed due to flooding and fallen trees (see below) and Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) rescued nine people after they became trapped in flood waters on Sunday evening in the Eardisley area of Herefordshire.
Crews were first called to reports of a woman stranded in her car in floodwater along the A438 near Willesley at 6.40pm, and the Water First Responders from Leintwardine managed to push the vehicle out of the water to safety.
They were then called to Letton at 7.55pm, where they rescued seven people from three vehicles stuck in flood water.
Just after 9.20pm an elderly woman was rescued after becoming trapped in her car in water in Kinnersley.
Station Commander Alan Haley from HWFRS’s Community Safety department said: “With ice and melting snow, heavy rain forecast and several flood warnings in place across the two counties, it’s vital that motorists stay alert and take extreme care on the roads.”
He urged people to keep an eye on their local news and weather reports, and to heed any road closure or flood warnings they come across as they are driving. He also reminded people not to attempt driving through floodwater as there could easily be potholes or open drains hidden below the water.
Road closures as of 9.15am today (Wednesday):
- U91005 Dunfield Lane, Kington (Road between the A44 and B4362) is closed due to collapsed verges.
- C1199 Ruckhall Lane is closed due to bridge repairs.
- C1019 Wigmore to Whitcliffe is closed - there is access to Leinthall Starkes via Wigmore and Pipe Aston and Elton from the Ludlow direction. There is a diversion in place on the B4361 through Richards Castle to Mortimer’s Cross, which will take you to either Wigmore or Ludlow.
- C1122 Wellington - Marden is closed due to flooding.
- C1120 Moreton on Lugg - Marden is closed due to flooding.
- U92210 Jays Lane, Leintwardine is closed. This will not affect the doctor's surgery.
- C1262 Hoarwithy Bridge - Kings Caple is closed due to subsidence.
- C1092 Canon Pyon is closed due to a fallen tree.