Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MG NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Hereford Racecourse hopes still high despite no meetings until 2015
8:00am Friday 1st February 2013 in News
HORSE racing will not return to the county until at least 2015, according to the man leading a syndicate looking to take over Hereford Racecourse.
John Williams said national fixtures for next year are due to go out to bidding in the coming weeks meaning his 11- strong group, featuring King’s Caple-based Grand National champion trainer Venetia Williams, won’t be able to register its interest in time.
The racecourse, which dates back to the 1770s, last hosted a fixture in December.
Arena Racing Company (ARC) announced last summer that attempts to extend the course’s lease from Herefordshire Council had been unsuccessful.
Talks have since started to bring racing back to the venue. But Mr Williams, who is executive chairman of specialist licensed property seller Sidney Phillips, says that although he is hopeful of good news, any deal won’t happen overnight.
“I think we are looking at months rather than weeks,” he said.
“There’s lots of things that have to be done before we can apply for fixtures.
“We have to be approved as an operating company first and no-one will take on a lease if they cannot get fixtures.
“2014’s fixtures will be settled in March and we not going to be in a position to bid for them by then.
“But there is tremendous support for it and I am optimistic."