Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MG NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Calls for Leominster mill to be pulled down after another blaze
3:49pm Tuesday 15th October 2013 in News
THERE have been calls to pull down a derelict mill in Leominster after another serious fire at the site.
The blaze at Pinsley Mill in Leominster last month destroyed much of the roof and kept fire crews on site for close to 24 hours.
The latest incident follows a blaze that took hold in 2008 that took hold on New Year's Day in 2011 which demolished another part of the mill.
But while many people are calling for the “dangerous” building to be demolished completely, for some it holds a deeper significance.
Pete Tomlinson and his wife Amanda set up their business – Mill Removals – at Pinsley Mill back in 1994, and ran it from there until 2002.
Mr Tomlinson said: “We sold it when we moved from Leominster to Hereford and we were the last people to ever trade from there.
“It’s really sad because there’s a selection of Leominster businesses that started up there.
“It’s a beautiful building but we always said it was going to fall down – the landlord didn’t want to spend any money on it.
“We actually tried to buy it but we weren’t able to and we guessed that was because of the potential future value of it.
“We’ve watched it over the years and seen its demise.”
The couple moved their business in to Hereford in order to expand, but kept the Mill for three years before they released the lease but said the building will “always be special” to them.
The mill, according to Herefordshire Council, is one of the original mills of Leominster and served as such until the Second World War began.
But several of Leominster’s town councillors have now called for the building to be removed entirely after several fires at the site.
Councillor Peter McCaull said: “I have been on council long enough to see four fires; it’s just deteriorated and deteriorated.
“I feel it’s now unsafe and really needs completely demolishing. It’s a pity because it was a feature of the town and before the first fire there was an awful lot that could’ve been done but it’s gone too far now.
“It’s a complete eyesore and there’s nothing there to save. It can’t be left as it is. There’s nothing there now and the cost of trying to put back what was there would be too much.”
Councillor Peter Ellis said that although it would be a shame for the building to go, it has been “such a mess” for so long.
He added: “It was obvious it was going to be set alight again at some point. I’m not at all surprised.”
And councillor Felicity Norman said that it was “very sad indeed” that a fire had happened there “yet again”.
“It could be quite an asset and rather attractive addition to our landscape, particularly as it’s right beside one of the main walks through Herefordshire,” she added.
Comments are closed on this article.