Hay-on-Wye residents struggling to pay their rent are being urged to apply for new funding aimed at making up the difference.

In “exceptional circumstances” those unable to make up the shortfall between their housing benefit and rent have been advised to contact Powys County Council.

The council receives a limited amount of funding for Discretionary Housing Payments; a scheme designed to help people left in a difficult situation following recent welfare cuts by central government.

Powys’ cabinet member for finance, Councillor Dai Davies, said: “When you apply for this payment, the council will look to see if you have some exceptional or difficult circumstances.

“The council will also check to make sure it can actually make an award towards the need or cost that residents are asking for help with.

“Through this scheme, the council has supported many people financially through some difficult circumstances until they are able to manage or cope better or receive more long term help from other people or organisations.”

For more information on Discretionary Housing Payments, or to apply you can contact the council by going to any of the customer service points or clicking on the ‘Advice and Benefits’ section of their website (www.powys.gov.uk).

You can also all 0845 6027032, email benefits@powys.gov.uk or speak to other agencies like Citizens Advice or Shelter Cymru for more information or to help fill in the form.