Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MG NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Sainsbury’s debate rears its head again
5:00pm Friday 7th September 2012 in News
SAINSBURY’S is set to decide on whether to press ahead with a new bid for a town superstore.
A decision will be announced either later in September or early in October, said the retailer.
Meanwhile, there are fears Ledbury could again be divided over whether or not to welcome any proposal for construction.
An application for a superstore on the New Mills industrial estate, on land owned and occupied by Galebreaker, was thrown out by Herefordshire Council in February.
Since then, there has been silence from Sainsbury’s concerning Ledbury.
But this week, Thomas Issitt, of Gough Bailey Wright, the PR firm that represents Sainsbury’s, said: “There are a lot of discussions going on as to what the next stage will be.
“There could be clarification in three or four weeks.
“A meeting will be held when a decision will be made.”
Mr Issitt said that the meeting would involve Sainsbury’s chiefs and company consultants.
The earlier Sainsbury’s application divided the opinion of the town and event led to a split vote at Ledbury Town Council.
Former Ledbury retailer Yvonne White, who spoke strongly in favour of the Sainsbury’s application at the planning meeting in Hereford in February, said: “I hope a Sainsbury’s supermarket does comes to Ledbury.
“There are plans to build 800 new homes in town, and the town’s going to need it.
“But I do fear this could lead again to a divided town.
“However, the people who don’t want it want us to be quiet.
“I still think that 70 per cent of the town is in favour of the supermarket.”
Ledbury’s mayor, Councillor Phill Bettington, who was opposed to the application, said he would judge any new application on its merits.
“If there are new proposals, I’ll wait and see what they are, and make a comment afterwards,” he said.
Comments are closed on this article.