Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MG NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Events centre is launched
4:20pm Tuesday 25th September 2012 in News
THE first phase of Stanbrook Abbey, Worcestershire’s new multi-million pound events and destination centre at Callow End has been opened.
When it is fully completed in two years time, entrepreneur Mike Clare will have spent around £20 million transforming the former Benedictine nuns convent into one of the most luxurious facilities of its kind in the UK.
Set in 21 acres of gardens and parkland, the venue will host luxury weddings, events, concerts, and corporate functions and also include a fivebedroom manor house, Brides Manor, available for exclusive use.
In addition, there will be a new bistro serving contemporary style breakfast, lunches and evening meals for day visitors and overnight guests.
Ultimately there will also be a luxury spa and presidential suite, while a new driveway will wind its way through the park to a stunning new entrance.
“My wife Carol and I fell in love with the place as soon as we saw it,” said Mr Clare, who decided to move into property after selling his Dreams bed chain.
“It is architecturally fantastic.
One of the most amazing features is how almost nothing has changed over the years and we were fascinated by all the detail it contains. I soon had the feeling this was something I could really get my teeth into.”
Through his company Clarenco, Mr Clare specialises in acquiring unusual and iconic properties.
So far his collection includes three forts in The Solent, several castles in Scotland and England and Plas Rhianfa in Anglesey, which is modelled on the 16th-century French Renaissance château of Chenonceau.
He added: “Our aim is to restore and develop venues in a sympathetic way that is in keeping with their historic and unique character.
“I think I can safely say that Stanbrook Abbey is one of the most ambitious projects we have undertaken to date.
“Judging by the results of the first phase, it is going to be absolutely spectacular once it is completed.”
Around a hundred specially invited guests attended the opening, which included a reception and guided tours of the luxury venue.
Nic Lloyd, chief executive of Malvern Theatres, said: “The arrival of an outstanding facility like this can only be very good news for the Malvern Hills area. I am very impressed.”
Comments are closed on this article.