LEDBURY Town’s hopes of a late-season West Midlands Football League Division One recovery suffered a blow with a 3-2 home loss to sixth-placed Wyrley at New Street.

After hitting back to beat Pershore Town 4-3 in a cup game the previous week, Paul Mann’s side left their comeback too late this time.

They paid the price for a mediocre first-half, falling behind on nine minutes to Nathaniel Hare’s free-kick.

The pacy Wyrley striker pounced again barely a minute later by surging past the Ledbury defence and slotting the ball into the net but was ruled offside.

Jamie Welch volleyed over for Ledbury before Wyrley struck the bar on 12 minutes.

But the visitors’ forward Stefan Gordon exploited Town’s fragile defence by running into the box and decisively drilling the ball past diving keeper Nicholas Blakeway.

Welch managed to put a smile on the faces of Ledbury fans by lobbing the keeper with just six minutes of the first-half remaining.

A volley from Martin Loveridge was saved before Tom Boyle was denied by keeper Ryan Woolridge.

But, just minutes into the second period, Paul Yeomans found the net after a shot was deflected off the far post. A well-placed corner from Boyle was headed over the woodwork by Dan Herbert for Ledbury in reply.

Town’s task of playing catch-up was made even more challenging when Mitchell Elliott was forced off with a leg injury in the 74th minute.

But Herbert scored Ledbury’s second goal from a header to put his side in with a chance of claiming at least a draw.

A header from James Febery landed in the keeper’s hands before Scott Roberts’ corner failed to produce the equaliser despite a goalmouth scramble and rebound off the post.

But Ledbury remain 12th out of 16 teams in the table as they visit Hereford Lads Club tomorrow (3pm) and then go to Gornal Athletic Reserves next Tuesday (7.45pm).

Ledbury Town Reserves’ success in Herefordshire League Division One continued with a 7-1 home win over basement boys Kingstone Rovers.

James Dean (3), Rodney Hathaway, Sam Dixon and Josh Crisp-Hihn scored alongside an own goal.

Ledbury Town Veterans, who are on course to claim the North Gloucester League title for a second consecutive season, had their home game against Shortwood Town cancelled.