THE wheels came off Malvern Rugby Club's survival bid as they were left with a massive task to avoid relegation from Midlands One West.

Second-from-bottom Malvern were thrashed 50-15 at relegated basement boys Market Bosworth in an embarrassing visit to Leicestershire.

Malvern now need nine points out of a possible 10 from their last two games but a mounting injury list leaves the squad down to the bare bones.

They host third-from-bottom Berkswell and Balsall, who are seven points ahead, on Saturday (3pm) before visiting Kenilworth the following weekend.

After an epic 25-20 victory at Whitchurch the previous weekend, the Spring Lane men should have enjoyed a routine victory on paper.

They started with great purpose, driving to the home line and scoring through a Jamie Anderson try in the first minute.

With the visitors' defence looking sharp, forays by the sprightly Bosworth backs were halted and turned over although a penalty clawed back three points.

Malvern still looked in control, despite playing into a strong, gusting wind, and James Southall picked up on the touchline, spreading the ball wide across the backs for Tom Hale to speed in for a fine try.

However, a double injury blow struck as James Hynes and the influential Anderson both left the field with the latter replaced by Stuart Clarke, who had already received a knock.

As the half went on, the home pack dominated and put Malvern under more pressure, which paid off just before the break when they levelled with a converted try.

The second period was painful for the travelling Malvern faithful.

Bosworth won a penalty from the restart to increase their lead and used their well-drilled pack to drive over for two quick tries.

Although Richard Preece had another stand-out game, the Malvern pack looked deflated and slow, while the defence was now struggling.

As Bosworth forced play deep in the Malvern half, Jack Longley was sin-binned and the hosts increased the lead with another penalty.

Malvern hit back and were deep in home territory only to see the final pass intercepted by the home winger, who ran down the field to put the result in no doubt.

The rest of the half was a procession of scores by Bosworth, lightened only by Hale speeding through for his second try.