LEIGH and Bransford Badgers have resigned from the McDonald’s Worcester and District League, claiming they were not enjoying the games any more.

The team, who were competing in Sunday Division Five, were in their second season having stepped up from the junior ranks.

But they claim the transition has been tough and opted to withdraw from the competition, landing them with a £200 fine.

Back in October, the Badgers were involved in a match against Riverside, which was abandoned with 11 minutes remaining after a player from each side was sent off.

Riverside were leading 3-0 but it was alleged that Leigh and Bransford refused to play on because of the way they felt their players had been treated.

Both clubs were found guilty of failing to control their players, were warned as to their future conduct and fined £40.

A Badgers club spokesman cited that fixture as part of the decision to quit but insisted it wasn’t the main factor.

He said: “We come from a background of youth football and trying to go into the men’s league with that background is difficult.

“It’s a totally different environment.

We talked to the players and they were not enjoying it.

“We were playing in some good games but there were some where people just weren’t enjoying it. The environment isn’t what we thought it would be.”

The team are now in talks with the Worcestershire FA about joining the new county Saturday league, which is set to kick-off next season.

Worcester League secretary Tim Phillips said: “We are extremely disappointed to lose any team in local football, especially one in their second season in senior football.

“We hope the Leigh and Bransford club will look to apply to join the league in the future. The door will always be open.”

Once again, waterlogged pitches caused the vast majority of matches in the league to be postponed last weekend with just six games surviving the weather.

In Sunday Division Two, Malvern Rangers travelled to St John’s and took an early lead when Stuart Hill headed home from a corner.

Adam Whitehead equalised for Saints when he latched on to a through-ball from Matt Vale and rounded the keeper.

Ryan Scullion regained the lead for Rangers on the stroke of half-time when he netted from close range.

It was all Rangers in the second-half and they hit the woodwork three times before Alex Scullion made it 3-1.

Dave Reynolds scored again for the visitors with Whitehead notching his second minutes from time for a final scoreline of 4-2.

With games in hand, Droitwich RBL could figure in the Division Four promotion race and they improved their chances with a 9-2 demolition of Trinity Sports.

Jordan Fox hit a treble with Marc Cooke, Adam Ellis and Steve Lyons all recording doubles.

Hallow Village are fighting to avoid the drop in Division One and gained a point in a 2-2 draw at Kempsey.

Sam Hodgkins bagged a brace for Hallow with Nigel Moule doing likewise for Kempsey.

In Division Five, Droitwich Spa Eagles A had a narrow 3-2 victory over Westside.

The University of Worcester and Powick met on Saturday in the first round-robin match of the Baylis Cup.

Jack Pollard gave the students the lead when he found the roof of the net with a 20- yard free-kick.

Powick came more into the game and, after shaving the post with a low drive, Ricky Buckland equalised when he took a through-ball from Stuart Harvey in his stride and lobbed the keeper from the edge of the penalty area.

Harvey and Oscar Hooper went close with headers for Powick but there was no further scoring in the match with honours even.

Drakes Broughton Rangers are through to the quarterfinals of the Worcestershire FA Sunday Minor Cup after a 5-4 win at Lickey End Social.