First-half no-show costs Malvern Town

First-half no-show costs Malvern Town

First-half no-show costs Malvern Town

First published in Football

MALVERN Town paid for a poor first-half display as they lost 2-1 at Wellington Amateurs in the West Midlands League Premier Division.

After a one-and-a-half hour journey to Telford, Les Jones' side started slowly and mistakes gifted the hosts a 2-0 interval lead.

In the 14th minute, man-of-the-match Jamie King fired in a shot which Malvern keeper Ian Hill saved well.

But Wellington went ahead in the 31st minute when Hill came racing out but failed to connect and King ran through to cross for Ryan Gurlin to net.

Two minutes later, Malvern striker Dave Reynolds forced Wellington keeper Damon Campbell to push his drive over the bar.

Soon after, Reynolds' knock-down was met by a Louis Loader effort that was deflected for a corner.

From Lee Hooper's flag-kick, Reece King headed into the side-netting at the far post.

Following a midfield clash, James Lush injured his wrist and Chris Parker came on as a substitute just before the break.

But, in the last minute of the half, Wellington extended their lead when Jamie King escaped down the right and fired past Hill.

In the 64th minute, the visitors' Joe Endacott was caught in the face by an elbow but continued after treatment.

With Malvern expecting the ball to be played back to Hill, Wellington's Gurlin hit a 40-yard shot over the keeper into the top corner of the net.

But the assistant referee raised his flag and, after consultation with the referee, a goal kick was awarded.

The let-off woke up Malvern and for the final 25 minutes they dominated.

Reynolds pulled a goal back in the 68th minute, heading home the rebound after his initial shot struck the bar.

Malvern produced a fine move with Reece King hitting the bar after one-touch football between Loader, Reynolds and Hooper.

But Town suffered another setback in the 79th minute when Endacott aggravated a back injury.

Malvern piled on the pressure and Reynolds chipped just wide.

Late on, Reynolds forced a save from the Wellington keeper, who then smothered well from Harry Wickett to secure the three points.

Mid-table Town visit Wolverhampton Casuals on Saturday (3pm) and entertain Bustleholme next Wednesday (7.45pm).


Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree