AN ARMED Forces champion is calling on a county council committee chairman to be sacked over comments she made about Special Air Service commandos catching sexually transmitted diseases.

Herefordshire Council’s adults and wellbeing committee chairman Polly Andrews made the comments as they discussed the introduction of a new domestic abuse policy in the county.

Coun Andrews, a former nurse, said her late husband, who was a GP, saw to many SAS wives and their children.

“He was often the first port of call because he was very sympathetic and understanding but they were reluctant to go to any of the camp facilities in case it got on their husbands’ records,” she said.

“Just as an aside, I used to work in the sexually transmitted diseases clinic and we had a number of SAS personnel go through the clinic.

“I was overwhelmed with the success they had in finding partners in the most unlikely of circumstances.”

Ex-paratrooper and Tupsley councillor Jim Kenyon, speaking after the meeting, said it was ‘completely disrespectful to the Army.

“She should be sacked, she is not fit for purpose as chairman of that committee”, he said.

“To make throw away comments like that is just ridiculous.

“She has got a responsibility to chair that meeting and make sure it is carried out in a correct way.”

“And I think the reason poor decisions are being made in councils are because the people making the decisions are poor.

“In all walks of life there is domestic violence.

“Does it go on in Herefordshire? Absolutely.

“Does it go on at the camp any more than anywhere else? Absolutely not.

“When I served in the Army there was support for wives, service soldiers and their families.

“I can’t see that changing or being any different today.”

The adults and wellbeing scrutiny committee agreed to make recommendations about the county’s domestic abuse policy to the executive.

Any resident who suspects or is experiencing domestic abuse can contact West Mercia Women’s Aid 24 hour Helpline on 0800 783 1359, or in an emergency is advised to call the police on 999.

Domestic abuse can also be reported to the police on the non-emergency number of 101, or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

More information about the service is available at .