FIREFIGHTERS used a jet of carbon dioxide gas to extinguish and fire in a pub kitchen on Sunday.

Crews from Peterchurch and Ewyas Harold also used a fire blanket, hose, thermal image camera and gas monitor at the Bridge Inn in Michaelchurch Escley.

A spokesperson for Ewyas Harold fire station said: "Our crew was mobilised to reports of a fire in the kitchen of a public house in Michaelchurch, supported by Peterchurch fire station

"On arrival the crews found there had been a fire in the kitchen that had been extinguished by the landlord.

"One casualty had suffered burns to his arm and face, one crew attended to the casualty until the arrival of the ambulance service whilst the other crew checked the building and vented the kitchen area.

"The air ambulance also attended."