Ledbury pensioners on low incomes are to get help paying their bills.

Everyone in receipt of Pension Credit will be getting £170 from Herefordshire Council.

The money is coming from a £1.3 million pot allocated to the county council by the Department for Work and Pensions.

One of the conditions attached to the funding is that at least a third of it must be used to help pensioners.

As the cost of living crisis deepens, it’s not just pensioners who are struggling.

READ MORE: Demand for Ledbury Food Bank has risen by 50% in a year

All residents in need of help or support are being advised to visit Talk Community’s Money on your Mind (MOYM) webpages, run by Herefordshire Council.

The site has all sorts of useful advice and tips on how to manage your money and where to go for further support.

The MOYM website also provides information about local organisations that may be able to help with food and energy bills as well as other essential household items.

Household Support Fund

A number of these organisations have been funded through the Government’s Household Support Fund (HSF).

Some take direct applications, others take referrals from local support agencies, such as social workers, housing associations and Citizens Advice Herefordshire.     

Councillor Pauline Crockett, cabinet member for health and adult wellbeing, said: “Unfortunately, the already-high cost of many essential goods and services, including fuel, is set to increase further in the autumn.

“I’m very pleased we’re able to provide some help and support to very vulnerable groups during this difficult time. I strongly advise everyone who is finding it difficult to pay their bills to visit the MOYM webpages to learn what help is available to them.”

There is more information about the Household Support Fund on the council’s webpages, and about how it is helping to support low-income households with food and fuel poverty, and other essential household bills.