SHOES made by boys in a workhouse are amongst the exhibits at an exhibition to open a new season at a Herefordshire museum that has undergone a refurbishment.

A collection of small shoes made by boys learning a trade in the workhouse, including one found deposited in a chimney as a good luck charm, features in the redecorated and refreshed Weobley Museum which reopened at the beginning of April.

The museum is also exhibiting artefacts stored by Hereford Museum which have been brought out of storage.


New displays include Victorian-era baby clothes, including a lace christening veil, and a wall panel about Garnstone Castle, the village’s grand estate house remodelled by architect John Nash in the castellated style popular in the early 1800s.

The castle overlooked its park under Garnstone Hill, until it was demolished in the late 1950s.

Some new 20th-century items include household food storage tins, and cigarette tins, mostly dating around the 1930s-1960s, a selection of hats donated by Weobley people, and ladies’ delicate evening bags, including a gold-coloured silk evening purse with white bead-work dated 1896.


A hallmarked silver finger purse, or reticule, carried by ladies in the 18th and early 19th centuries can be seen.

There is also a fox stole, from a fox shot on the Brinsop Estate around 1910.

On display are photographs of local people working in various mainly-agricultural occupations, alongside early farm implements from another age.

Weobley Museum is in the former courthouse and police station in Back Lane that it shares with the library.

It is open Mondays 10am until 1pm and Thursday 2pm until 5pm and the curators are Sue Hubbard and Carole Page.