A PARTYGOER was caught out by his wig after setting his girlfriend's house on fire.

Timothy Dimbylow was convicted of one count of arson after starting the fire at a property in Fallowfield Close, Hereford, on August 19 last year.

He had lit a cigarette in his then-girlfriend's bedroom, and also set alight a note he had written on a scrap of paper, which fell to the floor and started the fire.

Parts of the house's first floor ended up completely destroyed by the fire, with the victim estimating that £50,000 of damage had been caused to her belongings, and her landlord having to claim around £44,000 for the damage on insurance.

It was described when he appeared before Worcester Crown Court for sentencing in February as "extensive destruction".


On the night of the fire, the couple had been at a fancy dress party in Hereford, and had an argument.

Feeling "jealous and insecure", Dimbylow drove to his girlfriend's house and started the fire, leaving the property 13 minutes later.

When the victim got home later that night, she found a white synthetic wig in her house, which had been part of Dimbylow's costume.

The house was filled with smoke, with the smoke alarm having been removed with the batteries taken out.

The couple have since split up, with 30-year-old Dimbylow of Craswell in Herefordshire, having "lacked emotional maturity" in their intimate relationship.

Dimbylow's ex-girlfriend said she has since been homeless and struggled with her mental health, including having to spend 11 and a half hours in A and E receiving crisis support.

The judge recognised the impact the offence had on the victim, who in a statement said that all she had ever wanted was love, happiness and a home, and that the latter, which had been her "sanctuary", had now been taken away from her.

She added: "All I want is my Tim to hold me and tell me it'll be okay. I don't know if he ever existed. Life feels worthless and sad."

Dimbylow was sentenced to 18 months in custody, suspended for 24 months. He must also carry out 40 days of rehabilitation activity and 150 hours of unpaid work.

Police had been called to the house fire shortly before 10.50pm on the day of the fire, with Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) also sending two crews that night.


A spokesperson for HWFRS said at the time of the incident : "They extinguished the flames with two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using one hose reel jet.

"All people were accounted for. The property was fully ventilated with no further fire spread and the HWFRS left the scene at 2.48am.

"The police and a fire investigation team were requested to investigate the cause of the fire."