A fire in Ledbury has left eight families with homes in "uninhabitable condition" according to a local councillor.

Herefordshire Fire and Rescue Service received a report of a fire inside a flat on Lawnside Road at 7.14am on Wednesday, June 5.

Crews from Ledbury and, later, Malvern arrived to combat the fire. 

The fire had started on the top floor of a three-storey block of flats, and later spread to the roof space above the flat.

Due to the difficult location of the fire, the fire service was forced to cut away the roof tiles above the fire. 

Fire crews remained on the scene for several hours, but no other emergency services were required.

Herefordshire Fire and Rescue were able to confirm that there had been no casualties during the incident.

In the aftermath of the fire, Cllr Stef Simmons, vice chairperson of Herefordshire Council, confirmed that the houses of eight families had been left with fire and smoke damaged, and could currently not be lived in.

Cllr Simmons has stated that donations for the families involved were being collected by Ledbury Food Bank.

Donations requested include clothing, toiletries, toys and games, and non-perishable food items.