MALVERN College came from behind to beat Monmouth School for Boys 28-14 in the Border Shield competition at a packed-out Ross Road.

More than 1,500 spectators watched on at Ledbury’s floodlight ground as Malvern secured victory thanks to a brace from captain Nick Yeoward and further scores from Ludo Staley and Vansh Ladwa.

As a curtain-raiser, eight under 11 rugby teams from Malvern RFC, Ledbury RFC, Abberley Hall School, Packwood Haugh School, Prestfelde School, The Elms School, The Downs Malvern and Monmouth School Boys’ Prep played in a junior tournament.

This set the stage for a fantastic evening of rugby as Monmouth scored in the opening minute of the second, annual Border Shield event.

A slightly shell-shocked Malvern had to defend strongly for the next 10 minutes before they eventually started to make inroads themselves.

A clever bit of play by fly-half Dylan Sillence allowed centre Staley to break the Monmouth defence and score under the posts.

Full-back Henry Forbes kicked the conversion.

What followed was exciting, end-to-end rugby for the remainder of the half with both teams going through the phases and defending stoutly.

But just before half time Monmouth scored to lead 12-7 at the interval.

In the second half, Monmouth had lots of possession in the early stages, but Malvern kept them at bay.

Malvern then made full use of their possession with a sublime cross-field kick by Sillence which number eight Yeoward caught and touched down in the corner.

Once again Forbes added the extras to take the score to 14-12 to Malvern.

The game was very evenly balanced.

Monmouth had the slope advantage in the second period which made it more difficult for Malvern to gain field position.

But quick thinking from Yeoward from a free kick five metres out extended Malvern’s lead to 21-14 with Forbes successfully converting.

With 15 minutes left on the clock Malvern won a scrum on the halfway line.

Yeoward then picked up and passed to scrum-half Oliver Millard who straightened and fed Ladwa.

Once the young wing got hold of the ball he left everyone in his wake to score under the posts, a try that was converted by Forbes.

The last 10 minute period of the game saw Malvern’s players produce heroics with Monmouth throwing everything at them.

Monmouth kicked a penalty to make the score 28-17 before crossing the whitewash in the closing moments of a very tense affair.

But Malvern put their bodies on the line to thwart the Monmouth attack. Eventually Malvern forced Monmouth to knock on which lead to a scrum before they kicked the ball out.

Nick Tisdale, Master in charge of Rugby at Malvern College, said: “The game was a superb spectacle of schoolboy rugby, with both sides looking to attack from all angles.

“I am sure that the game and the occasion will stay in the boys’ memories for years to come.

“I would like to extend my gratitude to Ledbury RFC, sponsors and all of the Malvern College staff who enabled us to stage this great event.”