GOALKEEPER Simon Day was the hero for Ledbury Town Reserves in a 14-goal Herefordshire FA Junior Cup thriller against Dore Valley at New Street.

The two sides were locked at 6-6 at the end of normal-time and 7-7 after extra-time but it was a solitary strike from the spot that sealed victory on a dramatic and unpredictable afternoon.

Luke Cox was the only player to score in the penalty shoot-out as Day made three saves to secure Ledbury’s place in the quarter-finals where they will meet Bromyard Downs at Pencombe Sports Field on Saturday, November 10 (2pm).

After being thumped 12-3 by Ludlow Town Colts in Division One Town looked set to be on the receiving end of a second successive demolition job.

The visitors scored three goals in the first seven minutes and their fourth went in only half an hour later.

But Ledbury fought back as some better attacking play in the closing five minutes of the opening period resulted in Josh Burns notching a brace.

Skilful play saw Burns take the ball past two defenders before firing the ball home after Charlie White’s shot was blocked.

Burns’ second came in first-half stoppage time when he turned in White’s cross to reduce the deficit to 4-2.

This was soon followed by an own goal from Dore before Burns completed his hat-trick on 56 minutes to draw level.

The away side edged ahead on 65 minutes but moments later they put the ball in the back of their own net again to make it 5-5.

Ledbury then took the lead for the first time in the match when Ian Bennett got on the end of Cox’s well-placed corner with six minutes left.

But in stoppage-time disaster struck for Town as Gavin Walton was judged to have pushed an opposing forward in the box and Dore converted the resulting penalty.

A dream comeback for the reserves was then placed in jeopardy just moments into extra time when they netted their seventh.

But the encounter took a further twist when Walton redeemed himself with a penalty of his own after a Dore player handled the ball on the line.

In the shoot-out Mark Taylor, Sam Branch and Burns missed but goalkeeper Day saved the day and Cox netted to seal a 1-0 win for Town.

Ledbury return to Division One action on Saturday when they host Wellington Colts (2.30pm).

Meanwhile, Ledbury Town’s first team stormed to a 4-0 victory at Fownhope thanks to a Curt Williams double and goals from Harri John and Alistair Holder.

Pat Locke’s and Dean Rutter’s side visit Hinton on Saturday (2.30pm).