MALVERN Town started 2020 with a flourish following a commanding 5-0 victory over Stonehouse Town.

The early action saw Louis Loader’s strike from distance headed clear before Kibble tried an ambitious effort for the visitors after picking up a loose ball in the middle of the park, but his attempt was off-target.

On the quarter-hour mark, Dave Reynolds linked up well with Matt Turner whose effort went inches wide.

But it wasn’t long before Malvern took the lead, when Reynolds hit the post and Turner was alert to the rebound to turn the ball home from close range.

As the visitors looked to hit back, Gale latched onto a long ball only to see his strike well saved by Chris Pinder, whilst at the other end, a neat move ended with Reynolds finding Harry Clark in space inside the area but he failed to guide his header goalwards.

An inviting ball to the near post from George Hayes found Clark who was denied by a brave block, then Reynolds showed his strength to break into the area and get in a low strike that was saved.

In the next raid, Clark did well to feed Reynolds whose shot on the turn was dragged inches wide.

Malvern were well in command but the visitors still provided a threat with some probing balls into the area.

As half-time approached, Reynolds and Hayes both rattled the woodwork in quick succession as we went in at the break well on top but with only one goal to show for it.

It didn’t take long after the restart for the home side to double their advantage, when Hayes’ inviting low ball was gobbled up by Reynolds to make it 2-0.

Soon afterwards, Hayes almost benefitted from a poor clearance by the goalkeeper but a third goal wasn’t long in arriving when a beautifully slick move ended with Turner firing home beyond the despairing dive of the ‘keeper.

At the other end, Pinder denied Gale who then clashed with Sam Hunt as he cleared the rebound.

On the hour, Clark crossed low for Turner who lifted the ball over from close range before Reynolds set up Turner who went close and then Bryan Craven was thwarted by the ‘keeper as the hosts peppered the visitors’ goal.

Some persistence from Hayes was rewarded as he planted the ball home in the 75th minute to extend our lead.

After his clearance was seized upon, Jordan Dibble, who was on to replace Pinder between the sticks, did well to deny Kibble.

In the closing stages, Reynolds played through Evans whose initial effort was saved but he was alert to snap up the rebound and make it 5-0.

At the death a low ball from Reynolds just missed Turner who was poised in front of goal and then Turner was denied by a double save in the last action as we made a positive start to the New Year.