MALVERN Town slipped to a 2-1 home reverse at the hands of local rivals Hereford Lads Club in Uhlsport Hellenic League Division One West.

Harry Clark gave Town the lead just past the half-hour mark as he latched onto a Kyonn Evans cross.

But Hereford hit back after the break to level matters through Olly Price before Malvern keeper Jordan Dibble saved a penalty from the visitors.

However, second-placed Malvern conceded a late Jamie Cuthbertson header in front of a bumper crowd of 380 at the HDanywhere Community Stadium.

“To say that we were disappointed with the outcome of the game would be an understatement,” said Town co-manager Dene Whittal-Williams.

“Unfortunately as the saying goes we got what we deserved.

“We started the game slowly but managed to overcome the early pressure to grab a goal on the counter-attack.

“After that I think we edged the possession in the first half and created the better chances whilst not playing the football that we expect from ourselves.

“In the second half Lads Club were resolute and when they got back on level terms it gave them the lift that they needed.

“The goal was frustrating to concede because essentially our defending was poor and came from a threat that we had identified in our preparation.

“As the half progressed and even with all the bodies they had behind the ball we still had good attempts on goal whilst at the other end Jordan Dibble did well in a one-on-one situation before fantastically saving a penalty to keep the scores level.

“To then concede so late on and in the manner we did was very poor.

“Our marking simply was not good enough and it is something that will be looked at and addressed.

“Overall it was a good battle between two good sides but too many of our players did not show the level of performance that we know they are capable of.

“We will reflect, identify what needs to be worked on and be ready to go again at Hereford Pegasus on Saturday.

“There is still a long way to go and a lot of football to be played and as a group we will continue to give everything towards our end goal.”

Lads Club went up to third in the table after the victory, sitting nine points behind Malvern with two games in hand.

Meanwhile, Town were joined at the game by players, coaches and parents of West Worcester Youth as part of Malvern's junior club matchday experience.

The youngsters warmed up on the pitch alongside the first-team players before leading the team out as mascots and then showing their support from the sidelines.

Richard Thick, who was part of the Worcester contingent, said: “The smiles on the faces of the lads say it all.

“Credit to the Malvern players because despite the frustrations of the match and final result every single one of them took the time to high five our boys at the end.”

For more details on the junior initiative call Steve Hughes on 07826 808485 or email