BEN Mason and Dan Smith both helped themselves to hat-tricks as Ledbury RFC romped past Clee Hill in their North Midlands Shield Semi-Final last weekend.

The visitors crossed the line 12 times in total as they cruised into the final in impressive style.

Ed Bennion started things off, picking up from the base of a dominant scrum to crash over before Arthur Harris went in at the corner for their second try on 10 minutes.

It was becoming clear that it was going to be a long afternoon for Clee Hill and more tries soon followed with Ledbury playing some beautiful expansive rugby. Ben Mason scored the third on 14 minutes, and with fly-half George Wallin getting all of the conversions, Ledbury held a 0-21 lead.

Further tries soon followed from Dan Smith and Arron Almond, again converted by Wallin, to put Ledbury 0-35 up on 28 minutes.

With some big carries from Ben Stevens and young Alfie Scholefield, Clee Hill were really under the cosh, shipping another Ledbury score from Alex Voisey.

Despite the result no longer in doubt, a smarting Clee Hill did get on the scoreboard as a rare visit into Ledbury territory saw them work it wide to score in the corner.

Ledbury reacted almost immediately and from some lovely passes through the backs, Dan Smith was over the try line for his second of the afternoon giving Ledbury a 7-45 lead at half-time.

Within a minute of Ledbury receiving the kickoff, exceptional support play and carries from Ed Bennion, Alex Voisey, Tom Assal and Freddie Hemingway sent Alfie Scholefield in under the posts with the extra two coming from George Wallin, 7-52.

On the 50-minute mark, a knock-on from Clee Hill on their own 22 freed Freddie Hemingway to collect the loose ball and power through the home defence and score under the posts, again George Wallin adding the extras, 7-59.

Mason added his second of the day as the score continued to rack-up before the hosts scored another consolation on the hour. 

A Ben Day yellow card in the 63rd minute should have slowed Ledbury down but it had the reverse effect. Dan Smith and Ben Mason both completed their hat-tricks in the final ten minutes to wrap up an extremely one-sides affair. 

They now travel to Worcester Wanderers to confront Birmingham side Old Saltleians RFC on Sunday the 14th of May, 3pm kickoff for a chance to lift the trophy.