LEDBURY cruised to a seventh consecutive bonus-point win on Saturday as they moved top of the league despite a sluggish first-half performance at bottom-of-the-league Earlsdon.

It looks set to be a two-horse race this season in the Counties 1 Midlands West (South) as both Ledbury and Luctonians 2s have the exact same record: played seven, won seven, all with a bonus-point. 

But after their 59-14 win on Saturday, Ledbury edged ahead of their title rivals - who only just beat Alcester 26-21 - on points difference.

Ledbury made the trip up to Coventry on Saturday full of confidence on the back of six straight bonus-point victories and were big favourites to continue their 100% record against the league's bottom side Earlsdon.

But despite being at opposing ends of the table, it was the hosts who made the better start and capitalised on an ill-disciplined and disjointed opening from the visitors to go 14-7 up, with Charlie Pallett crossing for Ledbury.

The away side fought back though and with Arron Almond and Jock Welch getting in the mix, it allowed Tom Assal to probe the opposition line, resulting in Tom Hill seizing his chance to score (14-12).

Rob Gummer was sent to the bin but Ledbury would go in at the halfway mark in the lead as a rampant Ben Lewis crashed through between the posts (14-19).

There was a sense of relief at the interval for the away side and after the restart, they improved drastically and eventually went on to power past their opponents. 

The second half saw numerous squad changes with Iolo Bubb, Jonny Whitting, and Ed Wallin all coming on.

Earlsdon’s infringements led to a lengthy Ben Mason kick, which provided Ed Bennion the chance to rumble over following a successful driving maul.

And with that, the floodgates opened and Jonny Whitting was next to cross the line from a kick charged down inside the Earlsdon 22. Bubb added both conversions to extend the lead to 14-33.

Having found their gear, the younger elements of the Ledbury squad put on the pressure until Cam Smith jiggled through to make it (14-38).

Due to numerous Earlsdon injuries, it then went to uncontested scrums and before long Bubb chipped through to release Pallet for a score. With a mighty impressive Bubb conversion, it was (14-45).

Having looked mediocre for the first 50-odd minutes, Ledbury reverted to usual expectations and the linking between a quick Tom Hill penalty duly fed down the line for Ben Mason to dot down. Bubb again added the two (14-52).

George Wallin then crossed for the final try and another successful conversion from Bubb completed the scoring at 14-59.