LEDBURY confirmed their runners-up position in the Counties 1 Midlands West (South) table as they edged past Manor Park 18-14 at Ross Road on Saturday.

With two games to go, they are now eleven points clear of third-placed Evesham and cannot be caught. This could yet mean promotion for Ledbury, but they are being left waiting by the RFU on that front. 

As league leaders Luctonians II are a second team, RFU rules means that they cannot be promoted, leaving second-placed Ledbury the chance to move up. However, a potential league shuffle from the RFU remains on the cards, so celebrations remain on ice for the time being.

With a slower start than usual, Ledbury were caught off guard by a sharp pass from the Manor Park scrumhalf, leading to their winger crashing over in the corner, with the concluding conversion successfully going through the uprights. 0-7.

With heavy ground underfoot, Ledbury found their footing and a slick pair of hands saw Tom Manning pick the ball up off his bootlaces to crash over in response. Iolo Bubb kicking the extra two points. 7-7.

With continuous attacking pressure from Ledbury, Manor Park conceded a penalty in front of the posts which Bubb duly kicked to put the hosts ahead for the first time. 10-7.

Having a bright spell with ball in hand less than seven minutes after their first try, a slick move resulted in Jamie Rayfield going over as Ledbury stretched their advantage. 15-7.

But Manor Park battled back. A great defensive effort from Ledbury resulted in the ball being held up and the concluding goal-line kick fell directly into the hands of the visiting centre who ghosted his way over the Ledbury line, seemingly unopposed, and a successful conversion made the remainder of the game an interesting affair. 15-14.

With not much possession in the last 20 mins, Ledbury defended incredibly against the barrage of heavy attacks from Manor Park.

Having absorbed a lot of pressure, Ledbury broke free and after a foray into the opposing half, an infringement saw Bubb step up and successfully convert the winning penalty. 18-14.

As the final whistle went, Ledbury were seemingly relieved having defended for 10 minutes straight on their own try line.