A HEREFORD man punched a taxi driver several times after being asked to get out of his vehicle following an argument over the radio volume, magistrates heard.

Martin Peter Corns, 38, of The Courtyard, Lower Bullingham, was getting the taxi home from the Monument pub in Whitecross before he attacked 50-year-old Paul Parsons.

Corns was then seen driving away from the pub and caught by police near his home address.

He pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen for analysis and assault by beating when he appeared before Hereford Magistrates Court last week.

Owen Beale, prosecuting, said the taxi had been called to the pub on the evening of February 5.

“Corns wanted the radio turned up as he liked the tune,” said Mr Beale.

“The driver didn’t want to do that as he doesn’t like loud music on while driving. The defendant didn’t take kindly and swore at the driver.

“In response Mr Parson said ‘if you’re going to talk to me like that get out of the car.’

“The defendant said if he got out he was going to rip Mr Parsons out of the vehicle as well.

“Corns did get out and grabbed the right arm of the driver before swinging a number of punches.”

A witness saw the incident and blood coming from the driver’s mouth.

Police went to Corns’ address and he wasn’t there but they then saw him walking towards them.

“He was clearly drunk and, when asked where his car was, he said he had been at the Wye Inn and his vehicle was there,” added Mr Beale.

“The defendant refused to give a roadside breath test.”

In interview, Corns said that he had drunk five bottles of cider while watching a rugby match at the Monument.

Corns told police that he didn’t remember punching Mr Parsons and said that he did not provide a specimen as he did not know what police wanted it for.

Emma Prosser, mitigating, said that these offences were all fuelled by alcohol.

“Corns fully accepts that he doesn’t cope well when drinking,” said Ms Prosser.

Corns was banned from driving for 36 months and ordered to complete a 12 months community order which will include 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was also told to pay a £85 victim surcharge, £135 costs and £50 compensation to the taxi driver.